Meindl Porland Lady GTX - Women's
Overseas customers please note sizes are UK - please see manufacturer size chart above for US / EUR / Mondopoint conversion
The Meindl Portland Lady GTX walking shoe is part of the Trail Activity range and is an excellent choice for everyday wear and light hiking on easier terrain.
Holding your heel firmly in place, the Portland Lady GTX gives excellent support on uneven terrain and when hill-walking. The uppers are made from suede and mesh with a GORE-TEX membrane lining, ensuring the Portland Lady GTX is extremely breathable, lightweight and hard wearing. The shoe is kept well ventilated and dry in all conditions thanks to the Air-Active footbed that efficiently drains away any unwanted moisture. A Meindl Contagrip Trail sole is the finishing touch providing the wearer with a strong grip on a variety of terrain.
For a truly comfortable, multi-functional shoe, the Portland Lady GTX is the perfect choice.
- Colour: Marine / Turquoise
- Upper: Suede / Mesh
- Lining: Gore-Tex® waterproof protection
- Footbed: Air-Active®
- Sole: Meindl Contagrip Trail
- Sole No. 73:Meindl Contagrip® Trail
- Weight (Size UK 4.5): 340 g / 12 oz
- Leisure and Multi Activity - Meindl's Grade M Terrain Category: Similar to Grade A, these good quality multi-purpose shoes and boots will take you from the urban commute to a lower-level path
- Conditioning and proofing spray keeps nubuck leather and suede protected. The boots can be treated when the uppers aren’t quite dry – it ensures they’ll remain supple.
- Applying a little wax to the hooks and eyelets will protect them from corrosion.
Meindl's Boots Terrain Category System:
Meindl boots are graded in a category system from A – D. These categories are based on the terrain that the boot will be suitable for. It is important that you choose the correct boot for the type of walking or activity that you’ll be doing. If you are not sure – read on, we are here to help!
Here’s everything you need to know to make a decision about the best boot for you.
- Grade A - Meindl for Leisure: A good quality walking shoe with enough stability and underfoot protection for daily use. These shoes will take you from the urban commute and a weekend city break, on to a trail walk and lower level path. They are multi-purpose shoes. The Caracas Lady GTX and Siena Lady GTX are our quintessential A grade shoes
- Grade M - Meindl for Multi Activity: Similar to Grade A, these good quality multi-purpose shoes and boots will take you from the urban commute to a lower-level path. The Nebraska Lady Mid GTX and Respond Lady GTX are the quintessential multi-use footwear.
- Grade B - Meindl for Hill: Supportive boots made using high quality leather. The sole units are stiffer than an A/B grade boot and they provide more stability and underfoot support. Suitable for demanding walks in the Lake District, North Wales and Scotland, as well as lower level paths in the Alps or Pyrenees during the summer. The Bhutan Lady GTX, Bernina 2 Lady GTX, and Borneo 2 Lady MFS are our classic B grade boots and firm favourites of UK and Irish customers.
- Grade A / B - Meindl for Leisure and Hill: This category blends the two either side of it – A and B – meaning that these boots are suitable for both leisure and hill walking. They can stride out on footpaths and lower level hills. The main difference between these boots and those in category B is that these boots are more flexible and slightly softer in the upper. The Terlan Lady GTX and and Kapstadt Lady GTX are excellent A/B grade boots.
- Grade C - Meindl for High Mountains: These boots are designed to tackle mountainous terrain, unmarked routes, screes and glaciers. Due to the terrain, these boots are stiffer and provide more protection than boots of a lower grade. They are suitable for crampons and ideal for Scottish winters and higher altitude routes in the European mountains.
- Grade B / C - Meindl for Mountain: These boots are handmade from high quality leather. They are heavier and have a more robust upper and sole unit than a B grade boot. They are suitable for occasional crampon use. Grade B/C boots are ideal for multi-day trips, demanding trekking, extended hikes in the high mountains, poor mountain paths, scree and fixed rope routes. We would recommend a grade B/C boot for winter walking in Scotland and more demanding European walking in the summer. The Himalaya Lady MFS and Island Lady MFS are some of the top rated B/C grade boots.
- Grade D - Meindl for Mountaineering: These boots are fully stiffened and designed for high level mountaineering. They are fully crampon compatible and are suitable for expeditions to the high Alps and Himalayas.
Note: most of Meindl's shoes and boots are graded, but if you can’t see a specific grading next to a product, it doesn’t have one, and that means it’s for keeping your feet comfortable on every day adventures.
Meindl’s Top Tips:
Alfons Meindl developed the terrain categories to classify his family’s boots in 1975. Over the years, the system has been refined and it’s now widely used by many footwear manufacturers. If you are looking to purchase a pair of boots we would encourage you to read the terrain categories above.
- If in doubt, choose as sturdier boot, as it will cover a wider range of uses.
- If you frequently walk in wet regions, or there is not an opportunity to dry your boots overnight, opt for a GORE-TEX lined model.
- If possible, get your boots fitted in the afternoon as your feet swell during the day.
- Wear your new boots indoors at home to check that you have the correct size before heading outside.